OK so we all have different ideas about what is quick. Anything that is ready within half an hour after I get back from work is quick by my standards. I was getting a bit sick of the same old Spaghetti Bolognaise, and started back at work 2 days a week. I wanted something I could have ready for when I came back from work at dinner time to feed the kids within half an hour and that means finding some great recipes for a slow cooker.
I found one for Beef Ragu which turned out thick and perfect! I prepare my slow cooker recipes the night or day before, put it on in the morning and then it is ready when I get home. All I need to do is boil the pasta and serve.
Plain Flour, for dusting
1kg Beef Chuck Casserole Steak, or gravy beef, cut into approx 2.5cm cubes
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 small Brown Onion finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
2 sticks Celery, cut into 1cm pieces
2 medium Carrots, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
1 sprig Fresh Thyme
2 x 400 g cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes
1 cup Beef Stock
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1. In a frying pan, fry onion until softened and add celery, carrot and garlic. Put into slow cooker bowl.
2. Toss beef in flour, salt and pepper.
3. Brown meat on all sides in frying pan, about 8 minutes. Add to slow cooker bowl.
4. Add the tomatos, stock, thyme and balsamic vinegar and water to the frying pan and simmer, making sure to scrape off any remnants of the meat into the sauce. Add to the slow cooker bowl and stir everything together
5. Cook on high for 8-10 hours. Before serving, use a spoon to stir the sauce well and shred the meat throughout. Serve over pasta.